View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 10:15 AM   #119
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Is it because the library in your area doesn't offer ebooks, or has a poor selection? Do you like to reread a lot? Do you make a lot of annotations? Do you like to read the latest best-sellers without waiting on a hold list?
I'm a devoted library user now, but back in the before times the main reason was because of wait lists. If I heard about an interesting new book and decided I wanted to read it, I was almost guaranteed to be able to purchase it, but almost guaranteed to not be able to borrow it.

The way I was converted over to library use was a combination of factors:

- changing from must read a particular book now, to reading what comes up in my wait list. I browse the libraries new purchases every week and place a hold on the books I find interesting (instead of visiting the physical branch once a week and browsing the shelves). This provides more than enough reading material for me and there are weeks I can't quite keep up. I have to return a book not fully completed around two or three times a year and get back on the waitlist

- realizing that I could request the purchase of books (published in the last couple of years) and almost all the time the library would purchase it. I think I've only missed on two so far in the last decade

- Digging into the digital resources my library offers. The library in my city has around 90k books in Overdrive alone (ie: not counting Hoopla, CloudLibrary, Flipster, Zinio/RBDigital/Overdrive Magazines)

- Partner libraries. My city is now partnered with 5 other municipal library systems which don't have fully overlapping OverDrive purchases. They have collections ranging from around 25k titles to 90k.

After reading this thread I am shocked how much better my Canadian library experience is compared to many Americans. I live in a mid-size city, but seem to have comparatively good access to titles. Also, my readers have been Sonys and Kobos with OverDrive integration so the logistics have been fairly painless for loan management (I do browse by computer though).

Goodreads says I average around 120 books a year, so I figure I save around $2000 by using the library.

Last edited by radius; 03-31-2023 at 10:18 AM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote