View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #113
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Why throw away money on a purchased ebook, if you're not stressed by the waiting period? Save your money to purchase rare/htf books, or books that are heavily discounted. In the good old days people would wait for months to borrow a hardcover book from their public library. Why are people into instant gratification?
For me, it has nothing to do with being the first to read a new release. I don't care about any of that. It's the fact that I'm not willing to give up control. I don't want to read a book when someone else says it's OK for me to read it. I want to set my own schedule. A library puts roadblocks in the way of me setting my own reading schedule. It's not about instant gratification, either. It's about controlling my own segues, taking my sweet time reading, pondering, searching, and then reading something else that caught my fancy. I don't want anyone else involved in my reading "workflow" but me.

I don't miss a single penny of the money I've spent that libraries could have saved me if I'd only been willing to give up control of my own free range reading schedule. I don't hate waiting lists, I hate lists. Period. Don't make 'em. Don't want 'em. Won't have 'em.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-23-2023 at 03:20 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote