View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I can't imagine doing it any other way than as a single image, but then my formatting goals have never been ambitious -- and that by design!

The one time that I found LITB to be incompatible with what I wanted to do was in the use of 20 percent mug shots with text that flowed around the image. KF7 nor Look Inside won't play that game. I didn't mind how the text would look in the older Kindles, but I wanted the Look Inside sample to be reasonably close to what the customer would receive in the vast majority of cases. (After all, if one owns a Kindle or Kindle2 or DX, one is accustomed to the occasional odd presentation of images.) So I revised the first two such mug shots so that the image stood above the first line of text. Not great, but a fair compromise.
If you think of the LITB as being a KF7 device, you'll be safer. And what that means is, using tables to make these chess sets is NEVER going to work reliably.

Quote:
The better way to do this, of course, is to use media calls, but that again is beyond my ambition. I want my epubs to be lightweight and to work reasonably well on every conceivable device. I don't embed fonts or use drop-caps or even build a "mobi" version especially for Kindle.
No, we're expert in MQs, and I wouldn't try to do this (chess tables) as a table. As JHowell showed, that looks fine, on a Fire, at a given font size, but it's a disaster waiting to happen, the minute it's on a smartphone, or, or or. I said this initially, on the first thread about this book, and I'll say it again, those need to be embedded as images. Otherwise, they're going to come out as garbage, on myriad devices.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote