View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #51
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac12a View Post
Amazon has done a really poor job of implementing collections.
Collections has tremendous potential as the 3rd function of a traditional library card catalog, the SUBJECT search.

But in 3 implementations, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, and "Manage your content," they stumbled.

#1 - The list of collections is out of order. This might be fine for those with only a few collections. But for those of us with MANY collections, looking for a specific collection is difficult, remember the list of collection is out of order, so you can't just go to the middle looking for a collection starting with M. That collection could be ANYPLACE in the list of collections. And the problem gets worse as you add more collections.
You do know that you can change the sort, right?
Quote:
#2 - When you go to add a book to a collection, that list of collections is also out of order, so finding the collection to assign to the book becomes a PiA.
But you can search for the collection by name when you're adding the book to the collection, so...
Quote:
#3 - In "manage your content," there are several problems
- The window of collections only lists FIVE collections. This is a very small window to search through, when one has 50, 75, 100+ collections.
Again...you can search for collection by name when you're adding books to collections
Quote:
- It appears that there is a max number of collections.
This one I don't know about, as I haven't run into any limit. If there is a limit, though, it's more than 79, which is the number of collections I have. [edit] I just added another 22 collections, to see if I could go over 100. I was successful. I then deleted all 22 of them.
Quote:
- The list of collections is in "most recent" order, which does me very little good when looking for a specific collection to add the book to. An alternate ALPHA sort is what is needed.
...and this exists. Just to the right of where it says "Show: Collections" it says "Sort By:" with a drop down list. The choices in the drop down are:
Name: A-Z
Name: Z-A
Created Date: Oldest-Newest
Created Date: Newest-Oldest
Modified Date: Oldest-Newest
Modified Date: Newest-Oldest
It seems to default to "Modified Date: Newest-Oldest
Quote:
- I cannot edit the name of a collection, nor delete a duplicate collection.
I was able to do both of these things.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 07-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote