View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I really doubt autonomous cars will be around very soon, and frankly hope they are not. Idiots who text and drive or in some other way get distracted are dangerous enough. A car doing what programmers told it to will NEVER react as well as a non-moron human. They will simply be too darn dangerous for many people to accept them. But I bet a lot of the technology developed through that research will find its way into automobiles designed to have a human driver, and probably some of that technology already has.
But, if all cars are automated, then they all follow the same rules. And they will actually follow the rules. As said, the "Idiots who text and drive", or those who speed will no longer be a factor in making driving decisions. That makes automated cars a lot safer than relying on people.

It still leaves the problem of kids/dogs/whatever running in front of a car. But, I bet it's possible to make a detection system that is faster than a human. And communicates with the cars behind it to slow them down at the same time.

It's going to be a while before we get to something like this, and I don't see a lot of people wanting to give up control, including me, but long term, we do have to consider it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote