View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I enjoyed it. I had read a few other Vonnegut books prior to Slaughterhouse. I would always admit that Vonnegut's writing may not appeal to everyone and he can seem disjointed at times. But I like his wit and his view of things.

I'm going to talk a bit on "so it goes" here:
Spoiler:

As far as the "so it goes" and Billy's character it's got a lot to do with dismissing the terrible things that go on around him. As someone on another board stated, it's kind of like saying "shit happens" when we can't really explain why. For Billy, to me, it's like a nervous twitch and the frequent repetition reminds us of how much shit was going on and how much Billy is forced to push away emotionally for his own sanity (or lack thereof depending on how you view Billy).

You aren’t enjoying the book JSWolf, so it goes.

I don't mean any disrespect by saying that. I have valued your opinion a lot in the short time I've been around the forum and I look forward to you continually challenging our conceptions on value.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote