View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
I wanted to look into a "joint venture" model, where author, editor and graphic artists (if applicable) each make their contributions to a novel in exchange for a percentage of the returns. No one gets any money up front.
That might work, but unless you have a writer with an existing following, you might have a tough time convincing good people to accept the model. E.g. I'm a freelancer (not in publishing) and would never, ever work on spec with terms like that. Perhaps a 25% discount in exchange for a royalty could work, but I think you will find that a 100% discount is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
So, does it make a big difference to go without marketing? Can you get reviews from known authors / in known publications? Can you build an audience on your own?
My feeling is that a self-published author may be able to build a small audience without paying for professional marketing. But I don't think book reviewers will touch a self-published book by an unknown; they're probably inundated with formally published works, let alone self-published titles.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote