Thread: Literary Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting Issybird. I didn't really much think about the good vs evil as I was much more interested in looking at the impacts of psychological torture and then seeing them exploited by the champion.

But - you may have answered an earlier question about why so much time was spent giving us the champion's background.

For me, although I could see somewhat of an echo of the Gestapo in the champion, I actually never saw him as evil. In fact, I developed a real appreciation of him in the way he took apart Dr B in that final game. Throughout the story I thought he was going to be taken down a peg, which I guess he was, but to me he proved why he was a champion. He understood that there was more to the game than the moves on the board, something that Dr B never really had a chance to understand.

But your post gives me more of an appreciation of what the author was probably getting at with this story.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote