View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #161
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(And I'm building against libarchive-3.0.3 or 3.0.4 here, and the first 3.x release is only 6 months old, huh).
A recurring problem for a person preparing software to be used by an undefined collection of developers.

For projects too small for a build system or even for a configure script (which could either supply or at least test for required version dependencies)...

My personal policy is to try to stay compatible with the "oldest, common, stable" development environment likely to be encountered.
I.E: The oldest Debian or Ubuntu release still "actively supported".

This problem report was from a user of Ubuntu LTS 10.4 which is a fairly old software version environment in the Linux world but still "actively supported".

How the "small project developer" chooses to deal with the situation is up to them, I only offered my choice as one example.

I also think that this comment applies here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=42
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote