View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #38
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acryde View Post
Well if you ask me I would answer that I don't have a preference for a specific platform, I don't feel the need to have a whole ecosystem like I do with my smartphone. Then I like (and use) open systems like linux.

pretty simple answer:
- big screen
- minimum eye strain
- quick responsive convenient for reading pdf files (scientific articles but also scanned versions of old books that are no more edited)
- possibility to annotate (scribbling, highlighting, snapshots) and to export all annotations as text files.
that's about it! Then I have a preference for touch devices with a stylus cause the interaction feels more natural. Every other function/feature is welcome.

Is it too much to ask?
Pretty much the same requirements like my requirements.

I would add two more things (@Boxtoor: please add this to your list):

-the PDF comments/highlights/annotations should be exported as FDF or XFDF files, this makes them portable on any platform. I do realize that this might require efforts and I believe that they will implement easily most of the features available via the PDF library used to implement the PDF reder (PoDoFo). I already searched podofo.sourceforge.net and could not find any reference to FDF or XFDF so ... I guess this is not something that is doable in the near future
-when you highlight something it would be nice to have the highlighted text added automatically as comment. This is a standard feature for many PDF editing programs. Any other way to export the highlighted text is welcome.. I believe that exporting the highlights is very important because most of the times when you learn you want to select the items you want to learn. At least in my case I have very little to add to a PDF as comments but lots of things to select for later reviewing and for this reason I believe that a faster selection of these items and exporting the highlighted text in any way are crucial

@Acryde: excepting the exporting I don't think that we are too far from what we are asking. Then why are you declaring this ereader dead as professional tool?

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 01-11-2012 at 10:28 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote