View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
I do not use Dolphin.

I think the whole issue is blown out of proportion. In the quest to deliver a better mobile web experience many companies are using the very techniques Dolphin is being slammed for.

People want mobile web browsing to be fast. A big part of this is the competition among browsers to be able to render the Web more quickly to mobile users. Dolphin redirects are basically to a proxy server checked against cached pages in Dolphin's Webzine server in an attempt to speed up the web-browsing experience. If the webpage can be delivered in Webzine format it is, otherwise it is redirected and delivered in mobile format. No PII is collected and although browsing habits may be tracked they are not necessarily attributable to any specific user.

How many times have we been told and ignored the fine print when it comes to anything we agree to. Most people don't take the time to read what they are agreeing to.

From the very last line in the VERY short EULA (5 sentences which takes the average reader about 1-2 minutes to read) displayed when installing Dolphin HD 6.0.0:

By participating user experience analytics, you allow an agent running in the background of your browser. It will collect the user experience data and aid in future improvements.

I personally like Dolphin's Webzine feature because it allows me to read hundreds of Magazines and Newspapers almost instantly and without advertisements. For those who have never tried it you may be pleasantly surprised.

Here are a couple other examples of companies invading your privacy in the name of speeding up mobile web-browsing:

Opera Mini connects to a central server which caches pages and delivers the content to your device, this way the browser is quicker or so it seems. Opera compresses a page and then delivers it in a markup language called OBML (Opera Binary Markup Language). This compression process makes transfer time about two to three times faster and the pre-processing also increases compatibility with web pages not designed for mobile phones. Opera is compressing the stream on the fly for Mini, which also means they have a very good insight into everything you do via the browser. I invite forum members to read the article linked to below. Care to take a guess what Unclassified probably is? Good thing Opera isn't tracking unclassified web-browsing to specific users because they would probably go blind.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...ra-mini-scoop/

The Amazon Silk browser hasn't even been released and it is already under scrutiny for privacy issues because they are trying to speed up mobile browsing using the same concept as Opera and Dolphin.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...lets/231901560

Many private businesses use proxy servers to cache web content.

I wonder if it is really possible to have online privacy in the Internet age? Google your name and see what pops up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/te...17privacy.html

I still think Dolphin is one of the better mobile browsers out there and in version 7.0.2 the Webzine feature is disabled by default and nothing is transmitted to their servers.

http://apkbin.blogspot.com/2011/10/d...final-apk.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote