View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 06:11 AM   #23
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
A Humble Bundle partnership with Kobo? 39 Terry Pratchet books! Ends tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Before posting I hauled out my biggest magnifiying glass and did read that fine print. Not only that, but scoffing at danger, I delved into the FAQ, and thought I'd hit paydirt when I saw the heading "How do I redeem my content?", but that turned out to be fool's gold, as it only applies to games. A little higher on the page the question is asked, "Where is my purchase?", but it only mentions email and the "Purchases page," and I was hoping for something more detailed, such as step-by-step instructions: 1. Go here, 2. Click there, 3. Do this, 4. Do that, etc.

Anyhow, thanks, everybody, for your answers.

I’ve been purchasing from them for years. Aside from sloppy archives from Kodansha (as I detailed in the OP), I’ve mostly been pleased with Humble Bundle.

There’s a little file icon at the top of the page that lists what formats the bundle is in. PDF and ePUB for the Kodansha one, for example. The Discworld bundle specifically said that the books were to be redeemed with Kobo.

I’m a bit dismayed that Kodansha isn’t offering CBZ. It seems they’ve given up on doing them right since they botch the batches often.

Once you purchase the bundle, you’re brought to the download page. Here you can individually download each file, batch download them (which floods your browser with individual downloads en masse. Don’t select this option. It typically skips files), download individual torrent files, or (and this is stupid) mass download all the individual torrent files. It doesn’t give you a convenient, single torrent archive of all the books so that everybody can help seed the torrent.

I’ve taken to individually downloading the epubs or CBZ files so that I don’t miss any of them.

The last time I used the service was when Kodansha released all the Vampire Hunter D light novels in a bundle. It was such a pain fixing missing covers, missing files, numbering them properly, and renaming them so that they listed similarly that I haven’t gone back for two years—until this past Kobo bundle, which was painless to grab.

Now there’s a new Kodansha bundle with manga I’d like, but the pain of that last bundle of theirs that I bought two years ago still stings.

Last edited by Cootey; 02-13-2024 at 06:30 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote