Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
I had two separate problems.

1. The Kindle crashed when I tried to feed it a memory card with 10,699 ebooks on it. This appears to be related to the Kindle's internal limitations regarding large file lists. I retested last night with the Sandisk and found the results were about the same.
that's a lot of files... i figure the 4 GB card i have is insane. 1 GB would be fine, even 2... i might even swap it around later

i might also try "documents", "documents1", "documents2", "documents3", where the numbered directories would be content, but "off" (the kindle won't see them), but the data would be there for renaming use a phone/computer/pda. until the kindle can manage better.

Quote:
2. The Kindle would crash when I used the usb cable to transfer files to either its internal memory or the memory card. The crashing only occurred when I had the memory card inserted. It didn't happen when I later switched to the Sandisk.

Have you transferred files over to your Kindle by usb or did you use an external card reader to load them? I ask because I had no problems from the Kindle when I loaded files externally. For that matter, after a reset the Kindle would have no problem with the card. The problem was solely related to using the usb transfer mode while the PNY was inserted.

If you aren't seeing any problems with usb transfer, I'll have to assume that I just got a wonky card and all PNY are not dangerous. Either way, I'm very happy with the Sandisk Ultra II. My only concern was that I bought it at Staples. I haven't bought media cards in years so I assumed that Staples would only charge a mild premium. I paid $97 for the card and was shocked when I saw that the Ultra III was about $55 on Amazon. I took it back for a refund and told them it was crashing my pda. I was furious. There's a difference between charging a premium for convenience and highway robbery.
i only use the USB cable.

i've found that you have to be very careful dismounting some things (esp with card readers) ... eject/stop, and *wait* - that little flashy thing on the kindle has to be not flashing, at all. even then, i've learned to slow count to 15 or 30 waiting. some system processes might be slow to let go. i've crashed the computer a couple times by pulling early. i've also damaged a few cards in various ways - SD cards seem to be delicate. they'll work in some devices (like a card reader), but not on a PDA, or ... i prefer CF - more robust for my uses thus far.

perhaps your computer's usb drivers are wonky? old? dunno. the PNY card is 100% over here, all 4 GB of its SDHC goodness.
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote