View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QCC View Post
No, The Book is not an orphan. It is selling well enough on Amazon.com at a higher price than when introduced at K-Mart.

The Book may be a cheap alternative to more expensive readers, but if reading is what you want to do then The Book does the job.

It's not e-ink, so outdoor viewing is questionable.
It's not a fast book loader, but page turns are fast.
It's wide and a bit heavy, but manageable.
It's got this wonderful little joystick to move from page to page.
It's support by Calibre is OK (sort of), so book management is relatively easy.
It's supported by Adobe Digital Editions, so buying books is easy.

What The Book is not is a Wi-Fi hero. The method of reconnecting to a Wi-Fi access point is crude. The browser speed is good only for the Google home page to search for crossword puzzle answers.

The actual Wi-Fi range is about 12-15m.

And the Mobileread.com site actually looks like the site as seen in a real browser.
The second big problem with the browser is the inability to rotate the screen and see the whole width of a page.

Watching movies and listening to music is possible, but why buy an ebook reader for tasks better suited to a large screen and decent speakers.

Yes, I do have The Book. I use it for reading.

Carl
Glad that you are enjoying "The Book" I had two that I " picked up as returns from the K-Mart debacle for a very low price, used them for a few months and now they are "gifted" to my friends that are on fixed incomes and do not buy any eBooks using the crippled wifi I did set up a Calibri on their computers and they are happy campers .

AUGEN only wishes that they never made the deal to market this low cost china remake and ignore any users complaints with NO improvements except the Adobe DRM fix which was a lawsuit in the making from the mass marketers and they even blew that when they screwed up the G sensor. So lets face reality for all intents "The Book" is a orphan device and will so since no tech crew even wants to play with it.

It is a bit baffling to me that anyone in their right mind would pay more then the K-Mart price for this device.
When you can get eBook readers that run circles around the TB in the $100 range.

As a replacment for my reading use I picked up two Cruz Readers 103.V3 from Best Buy for $99 each they are full android 2.1, 533 MHz, Color 7 inch Wi-Fi that WORKS and it even has “N” connectivity has a 4 gig internal SD card and you can put in a monster external SD card on them.
It comes with the normal bevy of bloated applications one mass market (Borders)eBook applications , this being no problem since a very vibrant user community has “cooked” the Firmware so that it has full Android Market 800 MHz and I have almost every reader software that is out their on it and this for $99.

Sale is going on this week

The only item that I miss from The Book is the ability to read talk

Last edited by RadioMan52; 01-25-2011 at 01:37 AM.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote