View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Katsunami, your comment is worrying because I have the PW2 on order and don't have wi-fi access. I intend to download all books I buy from Amazon, rather than storing them in the cloud, then sideloading them to the reader. I watched a vid about creating collections on the PW itself, which made the process looked really easy. Can I do this without wi-fi access.
On the KPW1 (2012), collections work without Wifi.

The KPW2 (2013) supports cloud collections, which means that it syncs collections between different devices. There have been reports that, if no internet is available, the KPW2 nags for an internet connection, instead of just creating the collections and syncing them when a connection becomes available.

One of those threads is this one

This function was introduced in KPW2 firmware 5.4.2. You'd need to search the forum/ask for help on how to downgrade to 5.4.0, which still has the same collections as the KPW1. Then, do a factory reset, and keep the Kindle in Airplane Mode (= off Wifi) forever, so the firmware won't upgrade behind your back.

PS: I am of the opinion that this is a very bad move on Amazon's part. If Wifi is off, the Kindle should just manage collections locally instead of starting to nag.

PS2: If you said in your thread that you don't have Wifi at home AND want to use collections, I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote