View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
Hello all,

I have been a long time user of the PRS-500 and PRS-505. I recently bought the PRS-700 on the strength of the touch screen. It went back 3 days later.

The menu system and reduction of buttons were great, BUT the device was almost unusable by these old eyes. The contrast and clarity were nowhere near as crisp as the PRS-505 and the glare was a big problem. It was like reading before I had cataract surgery in both eyes.
That has to do with the extra layers Sony added on top of the eInk display in order to support the light and touch screen. You're basically looking through those layers in order to see the ink, so the contrast is much worse than other eInk devices.

Quote:
Having said that, I am concerned that when I finally receive my 1000S (who knows when) that the contrast and clarity will also be inferior (albeit on a bigger page) than the PRS-505. Does the touch membrane / technology on the 1000 diminish the contrast and clarity?
No. On the DR1000, the touch membrane (WACOM layer) is under the eInk display, not on top of it. So it doesn't effect the contrast/clarity at all.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote