View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
the Sony Reader , is a good choice , yet i am not sure how it works , i mean , can i see unprotected DPF and CHM files on it? will it be able to show iSilo compatible PDB files too?
If you have a Windows PC you can check out the PRS-700 capabilities (except landscape support, which is probably helpful for some PDFs) using Sony's Windows ebook Reader. My original post was for the PRS-505, but the latest version emulates the PRS-700 (5 zoom levels vs 3 levels).

Calibre can convert many ebook formats to LRF or ePub for the PRS-700 (or to MOBI for the DR1000). However, it does not support iSilo and I don't think any EInk device can read iSilo currently. Calibre also does not support CHM, but CHM can be exploded to HTML which might work with Calibre (CHM -> HTML -> ePub). You can certainly use MobiPocket Reader to go from CHM to MOBI and then Calibre from MOBI to ePub for the PRS-700.

FBReader is available for the Iliad and DR1000 (and the BeBook via OpenInkPot), and it reads CHM. However, a limitation of FBReader is that it reads the entire ebook into memory before starting. CHMs tend to be big, and even the DR1000's 128 MB of memory may not be enough (and startup will be slow, even if it works for large CHMs). You can try out FBReader on any Desktop PC. The DR1000S version is essentially the Linux Desktop version (and the Windows version is very similar).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote