View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
hi,

the one outstanding feature of DR1000 is its screen. i think the best available today

but that is where its good points end. i bought one in nov and have spent frustrating time with it. last week, out of sheer desperation and annoyance, i bought a sony prs 700. compared to the sony reader, here is how i would rate DR1000S

- build quality : DR1000s can only be described as something the cat left behind - cheap plastic, not even well aligned. i wouldnt be surprised if it is made of plastic that has been recycled one too many times
- ergonomics : it sucks. i have yet to find anyone who did not press buttons accidentally .
- slowwwwww: if you do pdf with anything other than text - it takes ages to turn pages. there are many posts on this site which talk about whether on not pdf is optimized but bottom line is that the sony reader (and any other device i have, and there are quite a few) can handle them effortlessly that iRex cant.
- battery life is just very poor.
- the case is the ugliest thing i have ever seen - badly stitched leather which doubles the thickness and weight of the device!!!!

granted that many of these problems can be fixed (like battery life and pdf rendering) but so far the only thing i have seen is an indication that iRex will address battery life - but no dates - sometime in future. they dont even acknowledge that there is a pdf rendering problem so i guess that means that they have no intentions of fixing it. and remember that there are some serious issues which cannot be fixed by software update.

so, if you want a display you can drool over, go ahead and get one, else my advice will be to wait for something with decent usability and performance.

since i bought the sony reader last week, i only use the irex for the newsreader app, which is really good and read all my newspapers.

good luck!

/bazmi.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote