View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I have to agree - Good Reader is the far better choice, and is $1 verses $10 for iAnnotate. I like iAnnotate and am not put off by it's interface as some are. Actually, it kind of "feels right" when I'm listening to a lecture with pdf in hand following along and highlighting.

HOWEVER -- Good reader is a MUCH better app for simply reading a PDF. I actually felt that iAnnotate could use some "iBook" like reading features....well, Goodreader does.

AND -- the highlighting is really easy, once you figure it out. It's so unobtrusive, I can see why people who like Good Reader would be repulsed by iAnnotate. You basically just press and hold, like you do elsewhere in iOs for the copy/paste functionality. Only you can highlight, book mark, annotate, in addition to copying. Nice and easy.

Good reader simply does a whole lot more -- so take the time to read the manual as it's interface isn't particularly "discoverable".

For instance, it as a "trim margins" feature, but I didn't know it had a "fit to width" feature. So I trimmed the margins, and then just got a slimmer page that I then had to pinch/zoom to fill the screen -- so what was the point? Well, turn on "fit to width" and when you trim off the margins it automatically zooms to fill the screen. Nice.

And it has dimming and "night mode" features.

It has a built in "web server" for loading pdf's wirelessly. So you start it, and then go to your pc and type in the ip address of Good Reader on you iPad, and then upload files. Not sure if it's nicer than iAnnotate's app that runs on your pc and then shares directories that you access from withing iAnnotate on the iPad.

Still, it's $1 and significantly better in ways that are important.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote