View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 02:31 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I see it's your first post, welcome to MobileRead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidaja View Post
What's somewhat odd to me is that the epub defines itself as epub v3.0, but it uses toc.ncx and pageList, instead of page-list in nav. [...] Does this matter?
Yes.

Also see my Post #11 in "Real Page Numbers for Reflowable Kindles", where I lay out differences between EPUB2 (page-map or pageList) + EPUB3 (page-list).

If what you're saying is true, I'm not completely sure the apps would recognize an EPUB3 accidentally using an EPUB2 method (pageList). Can't say I ever tested it though.

Quote:
Are there apps that respect page numbers in epub3?
Yes. ADE (Windows/Mac/Linux), and Gitden Reader + PocketBook (Android) are excellent programs to use, and support and follow lots of the EPUB standards.*

Note on page-list specifically: I haven't messed with page numbers in a long time, but AZARDI (Windows) and iBooks (Mac/iOS) definitely support EPUB3 page numbers (I believe they show up as little numbered bubbles).

I also just tested in ADE 4.5, and the page-List is displayed below the TOC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE4.5.-.Page-List.png
Views:	356
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	178312

Quote:
Perhaps creating a nav would help?
Yes, you'd most likely have to finagle some of the code to use the EPUB3 method of page numbers.

Doitsu's "PageList" plugin for Sigil should help.

You'd have to use regex to adjust your EPUB2 code:

Code:
<a id="page123" />
into EPUB3:

Code:
<span epub:type="pagebreak" id="page112" title="123"></span>
or:

Code:
<span epub:type="pagebreak" id="page123">123</span>
and then run the plugin, and it will add the pages to your <nav epub:type="page-list">.

If you need an example EPUB3 with a working page-list, see Doitsu's EPUB3 of "Gibran, Kahlil: The Madman".

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-12-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote