View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #60
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm complaining that if we had peripherals being made more so with USB-C then we'd need an adapter going to USB-A.
That's pretty obvious. When you have old stuff you're often going to need an adapter to connect it to new stuff. Similarly, if you want to plug a modern mouse into a computer that is so old that it only has PS/2 ports ... you're going to need an adapter.

I remember giving up an old car when leaded gasoline went away.

I remember saying goodbye (quite happily!) to single-ply toilet paper when two-ply came out.

Sometimes, it just works out better to upgrade. But you don't have to. Nobody is going to drag you kicking and screaming into a computer store and force you to upgrade your USB-A computer and USB-A peripherals. You can keep using that setup as long as you want. Sure, eventually you'll be left behind when you can't find parts anymore. Kind of like that car in your garage that requires leaded gasoline. But you can still make even that work, so USB-A should be perpetually available to you with a little effort and planning.

FWIW, I still have one old computer with a PATA hard disk in it. It sits in the basement unused, but it still booted and ran just fine when I tried it a year of so ago (out of curiosity). It didn't even have any USB ports on it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote