View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I think you're the only person I've met in 3 decades who knows that "Nimrod" isn't a pejorative meaning "idiot."

Hitch
He's in the bible.

Nimrod probably was a local smart King.
The tradition of him being involved with the Tower of Babel isn't in the Bible.

There isn't a clear identification of him in Akkadian records. He might be the founder of Erech.

We know more about Gilgamesh who might be from about the same period. And his story is the world's oldest found in written form. Burning down a town tends to preserve cuneiform tablets by firing them like pottery! Most of them are now in Chicago and have not yet been read. But then most ancient Irish Manuscripts (many older than the oldest written Norse legends) are in UK Universities and haven't been properly catalogued or read or translated. Almost no modern Irish speakers can read them.

Amazingly we can translate them. Though there are four main kinds of cuneiform and only one is alphabetic (technically an Abjad).

I find it very interesting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote