View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #128
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I wouldn't say they were idiots. I remember being the age of most of them and seeing the world in black and white. At my current age, it seems to have muted to shades of gray. Never trust anyone over thirty sounds good until you turn thirty.

We did have a discussion and I threw in some examples. For the most part, it almost seemed that if a person's gender/racial extraction/whatever is not being mentioned every second page as though it was the most important item about them, it was being trivialized. For instance, in the Honorverse stories, it is occasionally mentioned the House of Winton is dark skinned (I tend to wonder if given that the House of Winton's heir to the throne had to marry a commoner, that trait had not been made a genetic dominant). It's not a deep dark secret but neither is it more than a bit of background information. About as important as the Manticoran Navy uniform including berets.
A lot of recent SF books do tend to push the gender/racial stuff very prominently and perhaps that's why they don't see it as much in those Baen examples as you mention.

Not idiots, but close-minded and uninformed would probably be a better word, as it's pretty obvious they have not read many (if any at all) Baen books.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote