View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I love Gilbert, but then again my mentor is Ray Bradbury and my gospel is "Zen in the Art of Writing". Also I'm a free culture advocate and ascribe to the theory that our world is changing drastically into a new culture and as Eben Moglen puts it:

No poet will ever go unpublished now

We're moving away from the profit incentive, the write-what-will-sell to the write-your-passion model. Again I have to quote Eben Moglen when he said (talking about the music industry, but it transfers to all creative individuals)
I can't stand her. I've never agreed with making writing into something mystical or beyond normal human mentality, I think it's counterproductive and disingenuous. Anyone can learn how to produce publishable fiction. There's really nothing exceptional (and certainly nothing religious) about the skill of good writing. Some people do have a predisposition to it, but that doesn't make them prophets. Even in a world which could be proven to have no divine influences, there would still be stories, and images, and music.

My motto is, "Whatever works." I've always been a pragmatist. I don't believe in reducing creativity to some mechanical ruleset, because I think there's a little bit more to it than that, but it's just as bad to go around telling people they're precious and unique snowflakes with divine powers.

In the end it's just psychology and the wonderful things the human brain can do. If you've got a talent, that's a great thing, and worth pursuing -- but why dress it up?

Regards,
Ryan
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote