View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
I'm having a question concerning the speed between Calibre and the Glo. Before the Glo I had the PRS-T1 and sending a 0.2MB Book to that device took about two or three seconds if that. Sending a book the same size to the Glo takes about 30 to 40 seconds. Also it takes about two minutes after connecting the Klo to USB until the green arrows appear that show which books are on the Glo and which are not. That also took just a few seconds with the T1. Considering all the Firmware problems from a few month ago I'm glad sending books with Calibre works at all, just coming from the T1 I wanted to know if this speed is normal for the Kobo or if I need to change a setting somewhere. Thanks!
Depending on how many books you have on the device, those times are normal.

I don't know what the driver for the Sony's do when they retrieve the data, but for the Kobo devices, the driver reads a database on the device and a file that calibre uses. Then it works out if the books are actually on the device, matches with what is in the calibre library, checks/updates the shelf status and displays this in the device list.

When a book is sent to the device, it copies the book and then does the above to update the list in calibre. If you look at the job list in calibre, the copy is very quick and the rest of the time is the update.

Having said that, I have been working on a problem and did some performance tweaks as well. This should reduce the sync time a lot, but it will be most noticeable for big libraries on the device. I should have it in this weeks build, but there is a change I'm still deciding on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote