Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I convert all books that I add to calibre. But I'm trying to speed up conversions with temp files on ramdisks mainly out of curiosity, not necessity.
Same with me. I started using calibre on an old Dell 9300 (R.I.P) and I think a minute a book was the norm. It worked, I was happy. I actually thought it was awesome and amazing.

No I think 20 or 30 seconds is the norm and that is better than good enough.

But... speed of converting books is slightly more important to me than how fast my OS loads or a program loads.

I boot my computer, maybe once a day, more like three times a week and start most programs at the same or lower frequency. An SSD could probably save me a good hour or two a year.

I still have a lot of library cleanup to do so calibre performance is to me more interesting, well it is all interesting if not really significant from my POV, and thanks again for posting your findings/updates.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote