View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If Barnes & Noble Goes Under, Will Publishing Survive?

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/02/0...ble-publishing

I heard this story on my local NPR station while driving this afternoon. I would listen to the story if you can as it goes into more depth that the short published article. It's only about 7 minutes. Although I think the man interviewed, Dennis Johnson, is too pessimistic, he discusses some interesting points.

His assertion is that if B&N goes under, publishing may not survive because B&N served as a book showroom. Without a place to showroom books, Johnson believes that both the pulp and e-books market will plummet. Again, I thought he was too pessimistic. I don't go to B&N for books any more since their book collection stinks. I usually peruse the library, go to Goodreads or go to various book selling sites like Kobo to get suggestions on what to read. Additionally, sites like Amazon usually provide a sample to read.

However, book showrooms may still influence a lot of other customers.

Last edited by faithbw; 02-01-2013 at 08:55 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote