View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhunter2010 View Post
I used to use my Palm TX for books but I have to say that I'm lovin the PRS-505. I tried out a PRS-700 for a week and returned it. The contrast sucked and page turning didn't seem any faster than that of the PRS-505. PDF zoom was quicker on the PRS-700 but hardly worth the 100 dollar uplift from the PRS-505 here in Canada; besides, I hate having to use a bloody vanity cloth to perpetually keep the screen clean due to finger prints. Let's face it, the display on the PRS-505 is killer compared to the PRS-700 and while the PRS-700 does have a moderate collection of additional features over the PRS-505 it's not enough to overcome the contrast differential between the two units.

I have to admit that the classics at Sony seem to be well formated and are quite readable with a very good TOC. I had my hundred titles downloaded and installed on the reader in less than a day.

I had some success with the epubs at Gutenberg but not a even one for instance Dickens "Little Dorrit" refused to be read on the PRS-505 where as I had no issue reading either on the Sony Reader software, calibre 0.53 or Adobe Digital Editions 1.7. Fifty percent of the books I downloaded (200 titles) in epub format from Gutenberg were completely unreadable by the PRS-505. Odd but hardly a show stopper as I simply downloaded the mobi editon from Gutenberg and converted it to epub via calibre; voila, a readable "Little Dorrit" on the PRS-505. Brilliant little app that calibre; it makes the native Sony Reader software look really anemic. Sad really but not unexpected as Sony does hardware brilliantly but software like first year computer science students at a community college.
You aren't the first person to say that, but I don't have too much of a problem with it, as long as it does what I need it to do. I only use it for transferring books (I browse the ebookstore on a regular browser).

Most of the Sony Classics I've read were in good shape, but one in particular was AWFUL. I read A Modest Proposal, which is only 30 or so pages, and at least 5 times on each page there was an error. So don't get that one
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote