View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #620
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Interesting how different listeners feel about readers. I actually quite like the Daniel Thomas May performances. He's been the reader for the last several of the series, and I'm happy with him. And, of course, I love the series and can't wait for the next.
It may be partly the transition from the minimalist experience of Play text-to-speech, which does remarkably well setting off dialogue from narration, but obviously doesn't differentiate between speakers or interpret character. Much like reading the text myself, those aspects were left to the imagination, so maybe I'm partly reacting to May's voicing not matching up with my own feel for the characters. Still, it's also lacking in nuance or subtlety. It's gruff ogre voices for the Atevi and shrill lady voices for female characters--not the worst I've encountered and not intolerable, but sub-par.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote