View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
I couldn't live without Calibre (!!), so I just restored my system to earlier in the day, before my uninstall. So I'm back to 0.6.29, which opens and operates correctly.

But now when I try to install 0.6.31 (without uninstalling 6.29 first), I'm getting precisely the same error: at the end, after "Copying New Files" completes, the install begins "Rolling Back Action," and then I get the message: "Calibre Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified." Obviously I'm not going to delete the calibre2 folder in this case, since 6.29 is still installed, and I don't want to lose it until/unless I'm relatively certain I have a solution.

Any other thoughts as to what might be the cause of this? Same thing happens if I try to install 6.30 over 6.29. Rebooting doesn't change anything (nor, obviously, did restoring my system to the pre-uninstall state). I'm getting concerned - Calibre is one of my most used applications and the thought that something might be wrong with it or that I might not be able to install future versions makes me very anxious!

BTW: I've had no difficulty installing 6.30 and 6.31 freshly onto a brand new laptop, and on an older laptop, I just successfully updated from an earlier version - probably 6.25 or so - to 6.31, with no problem. So clearly there's something specific to my main system that's causing this installation error, despite the fact that Calibre 6.29 is still opening and running just fine - but I would definitely appreciate some guidance in figuring out what it might be and how to fix it. Thank you!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote