View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #76
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I still think it's simply that women generally prefer to read about women, and men prefer to read about men.
To a certain extent that is true. But I also think it might be more complicated than that. For us to like the protagonist, to care about his/her success or failure, we need a way to identify with them in some way. It doesn't HAVE to be gender related.

I think back to the heroine(s) in "The Wind-Up Girl". Who hasn't felt prostituted out at times by circumstances and the power structure? And who hasn't had to figure out a way to work around corporate or governmental bureaucracy more interested in feathering its own nest than it is in doing good? I've never been a bio-engineered dog-girl working the red light district, or a female cop tasked with defending the corrupt status quo, but I could relate to those women.

Actually, I think the reason I liked that story so much was the great plot AND our almost complete understanding of the protagonists motivations.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-01-2013 at 06:48 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote