Thread: OTG support
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Indeed it is. And I partly agree with knc1 about nearly all things already present. However, with USB OTG the important bit is - besides of course a HCI (host controller interface) - the correct switching logic. I short skimming through the kernel source seems to indicate that some (probably untested) support is already in place.

Also, Hardware will play a role. While the data lines might be driven by a charge pump on 5V levels, I doubt so for the VCC line. But then, this is highly untested grounds. A USB hub (self-powered) might rectify the voltage/current parts here, as was mentioned in this thread before.

However, it's not just some end-user config option in the kernel, I think. That's also due to the platform: The kernel was patched to fit it and when patching a kernel to fit a platform like the Kindle, it is highly uncommon to bring in more - including more options - than the developers need to. Unfortunately.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote