View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
UPDATE: blackjack13 successfully debricked his kindle touch that was booting to the dreaded "Repair Needed" screen. He did NOT remove the back off his kindle, and he did NOT use the serial port to recover his kindle. He did this using only ixtab's tar root path exploit (data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh), with some coaching. Read the following series of posts for details. PMs were inserted to add continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack13 View Post
How to method to close kindle need repair (kindle Touch) by RUNME.shanyone know code to close this function
Even after repairing whatever damaged your kindle startup scripts, your RUNME.sh must contain the following command to reset the boot counter that causes the "Repair Needed" screen:

echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts

I suggest that your RUNME.sh also replace any modified scripts with original copies, and any NEW startup scripts get replaced by benign (do nothing) script files.

You can get original script copies by loop mounting a backup copy of your /dev/mmcblk0p1. If you "lost" all of your backup copies, you could ask a kindle touch owner from this forum for a copy of theirs, if you let them know which script file needs to be replaced.

Of course, to write the new RUNME.sh to your USB Drive, you need to do it during the short time window (10 to 30 seconds) after the USB Drive is exported but before the kindle halts at the "Repair Needed" screen. It help you use a script on the host PC that loops waiting for the USB Drive, then immediately copies RUNME.sh and any other needed files to the USB Drive. Depending on your method, you may be able to replace damaged scripts by putting them at the rignt location inside the data.tar.gz file and using the root path exploit to put them where they belong. For most people, I suggest just using the ixtab data.tar.gz payload and letting the RUNME.sh do the "mntroot rw" and copy backup files from the USB drive to where they belong.

If this is not enough detail for you, please read the other threads and wiki so that you can make informed requests and understand the answers.

Thanks, and good luck.

P.S. I have discovered that the touch can get "bricked" just by leaving it connect to usb networking. I can apparently severely drain the battery even while the LED stays green. Or, at a minimum, it can confuse the battery charging drivers. This is much different from earlier kindles which charged the battery.

So, the FIRST thing to do with a bricked kindle is to plug it into a 12v power adapter to charge it. Mine took about 14 hours to reach a full charge. Although I thought for sure that it was bricked, my touch recovered and rebooted itself when the battery received enough charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack13
hello can you help me to solve the problem kindle need to repair because I install mp from Pat Hartl
to remove sponser and change screensever and then
I change screensever too big size file then kindle is show
need to repair

I think code RUNME.sh that can solve this problem but I don't know how to write code to solve it
Therefore I consult you to write code
Hope you to help me please.
I do not know anything about mp from Pat Hatl. I would need to study it. Do you know what files were changed in the /etc/startup/ folder? If you do, we can write a RUNME.sh that replaces the changed file with an original file. You also need to reset a boot counter file in /var/local/<something> -- that file is documented in my thread about touch serial port recovery.

I am too busy to spend time to do this research myself right now. If you can supply the information that I requested above perhaps I can write a RUNME.sh for you.

Or, you can PM ixtab who did the original RUNME.sh.

When at the repair needed screen, the usb drive is only visible for less than half a minute during restart before the kindles halts at the repair needed screen. It helps to have a script running on the host PC that loops waiting for the USB Drive, and writes to it as soon as it is available during the kindle restart.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 03:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote