Thread: PRS-505 Error Message
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Relax ... we don't bite. Well, I do, but everyone else here is really nice. And I don't bite that hard.

Since you're new to this forum thing, I'll give you the executive summary of how to ask a question so you get the best answer in the fastest time, and then throw a bunch of questions in your general direction:

You need to explain what the problem is, describe the environment in which it occurs, and tell us what steps you have already taken to diagnose or resolve it. (thankfully, you don't need my whole rant about netiquette, stupid thread titles, and so on, since you seem to have that part down already)

Explain what the problem is: Looks like you've given us a good start on that, although you might want to edit your post to fix that caps lock issue. What is giving you the "Invalid Type" error message -- the Reader Library? What is giving you the "Windows - no disc" message? The exact text of the error messages might also be useful.

Describe the environment in which it occurs: You said you're using Windows, but which flavor? What version of the Reader Library are you running? Is the "Invalid Type" error message coming up when the 505 is connected to the computer, or before you plug its USB cable in? Does Sony's software auto-run when you connect the 505? Do you have an SD card or MS card in the 505?

Tell us what steps you have already taken: It seems that you've tried letting the sync complete, and after 6 hours it still hadn't finished, correct? What other things have you tried, and what happened when you tried them?

Can you see the 505 through Windows itself (look at its files, that is)? Do you also use calibre, and if so, can calibre see the 505 or not? Have you tested your 505 on different USB ports on the computer? On a different computer? With a different USB cable?

Yes, that's a pile of questions, but with computers, as with anything, the more information we have to start with, the easier it is to figure out what's wrong.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote