View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have just heard stories about how you can buy the Kindle and play around on the website with sample chapters or iphone content etc. and when it arrives, that will already be downloaded into the new Kindle for you by the wireless while it is in transit to you. So if he decides to keep it, I want to be able to assign it over to him. And if he decides not to keep it, I want to be able to re-home it with a minimum of hassle, either to myself or to someone else.

He's a good six months or so away from being ready, and by then there might be other models out. But if it's something he can't look at in a retail store, I would hesitate to buy it unless it's something I might want myself, because if he decides he doesn't like it, I would have to either keep it or sell it myself.
The way Kindle manages books is the same as the XBOX manages DLC; they are locked to the User Account and the registered devices tied to that account.

Transfering a Kindle is trivial but DRM'ed books won't travel with the devce but rather with the user account.

If you gift a Kindle straight through, it will arrive un-linked. Then your step-dad can register it to his Amazon account (or create one from the Kindle itself).

If you send it to yourself and want to load it up before transfering it, make sure you register it to his account before downloading any DRM'ed books. And, bear in mind that you can use gift cards to buy ebooks so you can buy the Cards with your account and then tie them to his account before buying any DRM'ed books. Also, don't forget the Kindle supports drm-free mobipocket so there are plenty of sources of DRM-free books to start him out with, depending on his tastes. (Baen, Munseys, Fictionwise, Manybooks, Mobileread...)

Odds are he will like it; the K2 is not the most feature-rich ebook reader on the market but what it does, it does well.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-20-2009 at 05:39 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote