View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #69
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by halabund View Post
Is it also possible to use Calibre itself to send the book to the device in KFX format?
Calibre's current support for KFX is very limited. The kindle device driver is able to identify KFX books over USB as they appear when sent by Amazon. These books are mostly encrypted, but some metadata is readable in an unencrypted auxiliary KFX file.

The KFX Output conversion plugin produces books in a single unencrypted monolithic KFX file. There is currently no support in calibre for this KFX variant.

Besides sending monolithic KFX files to a Kindle, it would nice for calibre to have support for importing them and extracting their metadata. I will look into it. I am unfamiliar with the parts of the calibre source code that deal with interacting with devices and my available time is limited, so it may be a while before I can come up with a patch for calibre.

ETA: I have decided that adding better support for KFX in calibre would be more work than I am willing to put in on something that I do not need myself. It will have to wait for someone else with the proper skills and an interest in this to step forward.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-05-2016 at 09:28 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote