Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #127
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I really don't know what it could be that is non book and non battery related whilst only affecting some users, but I do think it's not the books... and Kobo seems to know or suspect (?) something other than the battery at least...
How about usage patterns (the way you do things, i.e. how the books are loaded onto the device, whether you sleep or turn off, how long you read for, do you turn the device off before you insert an SD card or leave it on, etc)? All those sort of things are unique to each user.

There are other possibilities, such as environmental factors (temperature, etc) but I can't imagine that having much affect unless those with battery problems are living in cold climates (I'm in the southern hemisphere so it's summer and quite warm). Temperature can definitely affect battery life.

Even location could possibly make a difference, i.e. maybe something with localisation is wrong (unlikely but not out of the bounds of possibility).

In a former life I was a software engineer and these were all things we had to look at when trying to track down bugs that happened for some people and not others. I remember many years ago I was working on a team for a large book store chain here in NZ and every night sales reports were automatically printed out. Sometimes they'd print perfectly but other times there would be garbage characters in the middle of the printouts. We poured over the programs for hours without finding anything that might cause the problem. In the end we traced the problem to the printers themselves, which were housed in a sound-proof room. We concluded that they would occasionally freak out due to static electricity that had built up in the carpet of the room as people walked in and out all day. Putting them on anti-static mats solved the problem. A great example of an environmental problem!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote