View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #62
victoriafoyt
Interpretive dance genius
victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'victoriafoyt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So much ditto to both of these points. His format is just sheer laziness and ineptitude, IMO. Instead of telling a coherent and cohesive story in a natural progression, he hops around for 800 pages to tie up only some of the strings at the end. Oy. And winging it, absolutely. The last two books were a disgrace. Of course I did read them, lol! But I did it in one fell swoop and I won't be around for the next one in umpty-ump years.

You should always read the book first!
Man, I couldn't disagree with this more...

Personally, I think that Martin is truely masterful in his story telling. They way he "hops around" moves the story along and keeps it fresh. It also keeps me hooked to find out what is happening to my favorite characters (whom he eventually kills off with blatant disreguard! but that's another point...) I'm constantly being surprised as the plot develops, and for me that's one of the best parts of his writing. Also, to say he's "lazy" is just wrong. Look at the depth of the world that he's created! His family trees alone are borderline insane if you look at the amount of detail he's put in. It must have taken him a VERY long time to construct his backstory, and he must have amazing outlines to be able to remember all of his charactors.

Which brings me to your next point that he's winging it. In my opinion, the last two books were just as strong as any in the series. He maintained the proper amount of tension and kept me guessing the whole time. Not to mention that fact that he keeps shocking my by killing off all of his MCs!!! I believe that he knows EXACTLY where he's going with this story, and it's gonna be AMAZING. From a reader's perspective, he's starting to give us a taste of his 'big picture'. The intrigue about the families warring with each other is just a subplot, I think, to the main storyline that is them having join forces to combat the ultimate evil (the Others).

IMO, these books are some of the finest fantasy ever written, and the OP should DEFINITELY pick up Game of Thrones and never look back....
victoriafoyt is offline   Reply With Quote