Thread: Which processor
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAutoPilot View Post
I am on the verge of buying a Chinese tablet and wanted to know if there is a huge (as in very noticeable) difference in these two core processors.

ARM1176JZ(F)-S
Cortex A8

I will be using it for:
60% ebook reading
30% web browsing
10% movies

Thanks
DON'T buy IF you can afford it!

Buy one of the NEW cortex A8 tablets, otherwise buy Rockchip 2808 tablet.

Stay the HELL AWAY from a VIA based ARM CPU IF you can...

If what you HAVE listed IS correct the Cortex A8 will be great, but be AWARE ALL of these tablets utilize LCD screens which are ENTIRELY useless in any sort of bright/mostly direct sunlight conditions...

IF you want an ebook reader primarily, go with a nook... it has a small LCD control screen + eInk reading screen and can be hacked to a degree...

[EDIT]
Given your reading percentage I'd say nook, but wait for another inevitable price drop if you can... and/or other possibly newer and BETTER devices, e.g. color eInk plus FASTER refresh times as curent eInk is VERY ssssllllloooooowwwww, but the nook is hackable to run things it wasn't meant to runwhich are useful... sorry I'm wandering but that's the way it si unless you want a useless in direct(or bright) sunlight reader LCD based...

I'm not being clear so I'll simplify it, for daylight/direct sunlight/bright sunlight reaading Nook Android or some other eInk base is your ONLY USEFUL choice, o OTHERrwise experiment with tablets but ONLY with ROCKCHIP 2808(if your're cheap) or Cortex A8 o.w.

Also be careful of Chinese purveyors of products as they NOTORIOUSLY do NOT support their products. Check out flatcomputing.com for a "potentially" decent allarounder excepting the lighting conditions mentioned above for eInk...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote