View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
so anything listed as Mobi Pocket is not going to work?

i guess i don't get what MP is... is it a program for reading? is it a converter, a viewer?

it seemed so simple at first, now i am confused.
MobiPocket is a program for reading (on Windows, and on a variety of eBook reading hardware, but NOT Sony). It's ALSO a format for eBooks. As gwynevans wrote, MobiPocket format is one of the ones you can convert for use with your Sony reader.

As to how, well, there's this legal issue. If you are located in the US, the (&^$&^%$) DMCA law makes it a Federal Felony to tell someone else where to get software to remove DRM, or to tell them how to use such software. Legal opinions differ on whether or not it is, in fact, legal to use software to remove DRM from your legally-purchased content. I've sat in a graduate seminar in which eminent legal experts have given their considered opinion that it is clearly legal to do so. One expert even went so far as to provide written advice of counsel to all the students in the seminar stating his considered opinion that such use is legal. Other legal experts say that removing DRM is clearly against the law (that very same DMCA -- Digital Millenium Copyright Act). No case has yet been tried in court, so nobody really knows.

All that said, if you purchase a MobiPocket book you can certainly remove DRM (if any) and then convert the book to any of several formats that the Sony reader can use. But since I'm in the US, I can't tell you how!

Xenophon

P.S. All the experts agree that you are exceedingly unlikely to be hassled for stripping DRM from legally acquired content for personal use. They also agree that sharing or uploading that content (outside your immediate household) is unquestionably a violation of the copyright owners IP, and is rather more likely to get you in trouble. My personal take is that there's no ethical problem with stripping DRM from legally acquired content... but DON'T STEAL BOOKS!
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote