View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
gfeps
gfeps began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

For the reading status, this can be handled via my Kobo Utilities plugin. It has function to fetch and store the reading status from the device. And then restore it later. You need to configure the plugin, do the fetch from the current device and when you have the books on the new device, you can do a restore.

Alternatively, you can try copying everything from books partition of the old device to the new device. And when you disconnect, shut the device down. This can work. But, it doesn't always. If you try this, you can also try copying the contents of the "user" table in the database from the database on the new device to the database you copy from the old database.

I've done the first method a few times over the years. It's works well if you don't want an identical copy, but, are not going to send finished books or book you no longer plan to read. People have reported success with the second method, but, I think there have been as many failures.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

I use Calibre for Collection Management but I should have mentioned that while I use Calibre, our computer was reformatted and I only have a limited number of books on it since then. Approximately 50 out of the 1100 on my ereader. So this isnt going to work when transferring books, unless I can somehow first transfer data from my old device to Calibre first, and then transfer to my new device?

Which Kobo Utilities plugin would I need in order to transfer my reading stats? I should be able to manage this if I can find instructions, I managed to set up the plugin for Collection Management.

If I were to try the second method, is there a possibility that I may accidentally do irreversible damage if I get it wrong?
gfeps is offline   Reply With Quote