View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Welcome, lynnh! I work for Astak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnh View Post
I have recently started researching e-readers. I am 99% sure the Astak 5" EZReader is what I want. I just want to make sure of a few things. I am a homeschooling mom. I have a lot of e-books on my computer that are pdf files. It looks like the EZReader will read these with the possibility that I may need to convert them to e-pub using something like Calibre. Is that correct? The other books I would plan on loading on it would be old classic e-pub books from google books. I may purchase some books. Am I right in that the only place I can't purchase books form is Barnes and Noble? Everything else is compatible-is that correct? Thank you for answering these basic questions.
Dear Lynnh:

Welcome to our Dedicated Astak Forum. I work for Astak. I say this first for two reasons:

1. That you know my views may be a bit biased.
2. That you know Astak is on here almost every day answering questions, solving problems, and letting people know we are very reachable and friendly.

There was a thread about ten days ago on here that talked about PDF. What was basically said is that most PDF works just fine on the Pocket PRO and there is no need to convert. The Pocket PRO has Adobe Digital Editions allowing reflow of PDF. Yes, EPUB is just great on the Pocket PRO... but I think almost all of your PDF will work just fine. You have 20 formats on the Pocket PRO. They all work... but I would stay away from .LIT until we can get that perfected.

I am going to tell you a secret. Yesterday afternoon Astak was approved by Google to launch an Astak Bookstore. That Bookstore is now receiving final changes and should be up within the next 2-3 business days. It will have 1-1.5 Million Google free eBooks PLUS all the latest Best Sellers and other popular titles in EPUB (fom a separate content provider). I cannot tell you the website yet... but I want to assure you that you will have a great new eBook Store to turn to. In addition, of course, you have a choice of 300 other eBook Stores such as Books On Board and Powells. We are Open Format and try to provide maximum freedom to the end user so they have access to even the more obscure titles and publications. Great for home schooling!

At this time, you cannot purchase eBooks from Kindle (Kindle's dubious choice and not ours) and Barnes&Noble (we are still talking with them about gaining their format too).

I hope that this helps. Welcome to our happy band of Astak enjoyers.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote