View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Do you think the primary role of the best-sellers in the industry will continue in the future?

There will always be best-sellers. My sense is that, if today best-sellers represent 20 to 25% of the publishing house revenue, maybe in the future they will represent less. Because the marketing through the digital media, through the internet, is going to be so vast that we will sell more copies of a lot of more books in the mid-list. So the weight of the best-seller is going to be somewhat less, I think! I am not sure!
Two more factors make me think he's right and bestsellers will be less important going forward: inflated prices of bestsellers make mid-list and indie ebooks more attractive, and backlist out-of-print books will be digitized and compete with new releases.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote