Thread: Reading Goals
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I don't read to satisfy any stupid number, I simply read for entertainment. Not everything has to have a goal or a number attached to it. When the hell did this become a competition?
What happened to me was this:

When I was young I always read for pleasure, I read a lot and I read most days - mostly in bed before falling asleep. When I was older and working my bus ride to work was a guaranteed slot when I read and I always had a book on the go.

A few years ago I noticed that without consciously changing anything I'd slowed down. One reason was I was now driving to work, another was that I was now going to bed later and tending to fall asleep straight away. A little while later I realised that I was still reading as much if not more than I'd ever done it's just a lot of it was now online and not books but blogs and forums and so on.

Then the final Harry Potter book was coming out. I'd decided I wanted to re-read the whole series before that. I had only a few weeks and I'm not a quick reader so I made myself a spreadsheet to track how many pages I read per day so I could see if I was on target. I found I liked tracking the numbers - sometimes I used tweaking the spreadsheet as a procrastination from reading. I've been using various forms of that spreadsheet ever since.

So I've learnt a couple of things:

1) As I get older and there are more things to distract me, it's easier to "forget" to read even though I enjoy it when I do.

2) I like numbers.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote