View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I think for me---and this is the point I think it is vital for authors to understand, and most don't yet---it is not about 'cheap' prices, so much as it is about fair prices, and fair treatment....
Wow, that's a really good post, and you articulate some great points. Book piracy is a big problem right now, so honest customers who are willing to pay a fair price are more valuable than ever to authors and publishers. Respect goes both ways. Everyone knows it costs less to digitally republish a previously published book than it does to publish one from scratch, either traditionally or electronically. There can be costs involved--scanning and converting older titles, cover art--but with a digital reprint, there's no editing or marketing staff to pay, no manufacturing or physical distribution. I actually worked in the publishing industry when I lived in NYC years ago, and I can tell you the profit margin for traditional books is pretty freakin slim. So charging the same amount of money for a digital reprint as for a newly published book... how can that not feel like a rip-off?

I'm not saying other authors republishing their backlist need to price their work at $2.99, like me. I'm trying to introduce my books to new readers and build my audience. But I do think we need to be realistic.

LOL about Smashwords being the world's biggest slush pile. There are pros and cons to that. It can be like a treasure hunt, but having read a lot of e-originals, well, it's also a crap shoot. That's why I like samples and excerpts.

Pat
patricia-ryan.com
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote