View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #37
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@gilali
KOReader supports multitouch gestures, which can make some user interactions easier but of course it doesn't depend on them. It may not be supported on any Kobos atm (hardware-wise) but don't quote me on that. It shouldn't need special support if it's standard in any case. There's definitely multitouch on Kindle and Android, presumably also on PocketBook and Ubuntu Touch.

@geekraver
It's some of the Kobos that use non-standard mechanisms for touch instead of the standard Linux kernel events. They emit something that's close to it, but not quite. This is contrary to the kernel principle that user-space applications shouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing. Linus Torvalds would firmly reject whatever kernel patches they applied, probably coupled with some profanity.

Anyway, you can see KOReader's Lua implementation of the Linux single touch and multi touch protocols here, including a reverse-engineered implementation of what was dubbed the Phoenix protocol (because it's the first device where that particular creature showed up).

KSM/vlasovsoftlauncher depends on something similar written in C or C++ instead. Possibly just a few Kobo-specific workarounds on top of something straight from Qt.

Anyway, I guess Sergey can just look at some evtest output and immediately translate it to some relevant code without needing to take a good hour or two to really wrap his head around it. But he probably wrote that code, whereas I didn't implement any of KOReader's stuff so that I only have a passing knowledge of it. I almost got started for the H2O when I noticed that it reused the Phoenix protocol.

You could say I could've used the time I spent writing this post parsing the events and the code instead but it's already 22:26 and trust me, that's a lot more exhausting.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote