View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
DownSouth
DownSouth began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ
Unhappy Such a shame. Calibre could be great

but currently it is almost useless.

The main problem is the lack of being able to format the metadata when adding/saving books.
The real problem is difficulty in finding the documentation needed to do this.

EX: want to add several books with filenames in the following patterns.
Last, First - Title - Series.txt or First Last - Title.txt

This should be easy, in fact the FAQ says that a file name in the following format will import properly. It does not.
Title - Author's name.txt It only imports the first word of the Author's name.

There is no good reference of common expressions (please don't refer me to the overblown, unusable Phython reference that comes up when clicked on).

Search the forums for "expressions" and/or "metadata" and nothing useful comes up. What does come up is incorrect or incomplete.
Posts such as change the expressions in "Preferences-> Advanced" with NO pointer to the expressions table.

To see how Calibre should handle file name to metadata (MP3 tags are metadata) conversion go take a look at MP3Tag, then come back here and comment. I do appreciate the programming done so far, it's just that the most important aspect is not usable, and it easily could be.

The other problem is not being able to adjust the colors in the reader.

Ybook and many other readers have that simple feature which makes reading, especially at night, much more enjoyable.

Documentation, or the lack thereof, is the current downfall of this project.

A few "sticky" posts with info on ISBNdb access keys and expressions would go a looooooonnggg way towards making this the great program it could become.

OK, blast away. I know many people here will only see the negatives and will ignore the constructive criticism contained herein.