View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Rome - Republic and Empire • March 2020

Help select what we'll read and discuss next!

The topic is Rome - Republic and Empire.

This correlates to the dates DIX BC - CDLXXVI AD, so any books written in or about that period of Rome would fit. Also, as usual the topic is interpretable upon inspiration, so any of the words of the topic title or ideas they invoke may conjure up nominations not necessarily about ancient Rome but otherwise related to the topic- perhaps something else Roman, or related to a republic or empire. This topic area was suggested because of the Ides of March, so something to do with anything related to that could fit as well.

Detailed nominating and voting guidelines can be found here. Basically, nominations are open for about four days and each person may nominate up to three literary selections which will go automatically to the vote. Voting by post then opens for four days, and a voter may give each nomination either one or two votes but only has a limited number of votes to use which is equal to the number of nominations minus one. Any questions, feel free to ask.

We hope that you will read the selection with us and join in the discussion.

Nominations are now complete. Initial voting is complete. Run-off voting is complete. Final results-
  • The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CCXCIV Pages . Votes I . Run-off – . MCMLIV . England & Malta

• Roman Blood by Steven Saylor
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CDIV Pages . Votes II . Run-off – . MCMXCI . U.S.

• I, Claudius by Robert Graves
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CDXXXII Pages . Votes V . Run-off III . MCMXXXIV . England

• Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . DLX Pages . Votes I . Run-off – . MDCCCXCIV . Poland

• Spartacus by Howard Fast
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CCCLXII Pages . Votes I . Run-off – . MCMLI . U.S.

• Salammbô by Gustave Flaubert
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CCLII Pages . Votes III . Run-off – . MDCCCLXII . France

• Agrippa’s Daughter by Howard Fast
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CCCLXXI Pages . Votes V . Run-off nulla . MCMLXIV . U.S.

• Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CCXXXIX Pages . Votes I . Run-off – . MDXCIX . England

• Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff
    Post . Goodreads . Preview . CCCLXXXIV Pages . Votes V . Run-off II . MMX . U.S.

Last edited by sun surfer; 03-12-2020 at 02:33 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote