View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I liked the book, although I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I was disappointed as I was reading the book because it did not match my expectations. I had never read anything by Fitzgerald before. I was expecting a more sentimental book and perhaps a transformation in characters and the town as a result of the bookshop.
I wouldn't have thought it nearly as brilliant if it had been sentimental and hopeful. Things don't always work out for the good and we need books that reflect that.

Quote:
"Surely you have to succeed, if you give everything you have." Or maybe not.... The book is ultimately about failure rather than success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Christine's apparent failure did come as a surprise. I figured Florence was destined to fail but had thought the author might leave us Christine as a sort of consolation prize. If I felt real sadness anywhere in this book it was for Christine. (The movie, apparently, offers something rather more hopeful for her future.)
Like The Natural! I don't have an issue with a movie tinkering with its source material and can look at a movie on its own merits, but I think in terms of this particular story that ending weakens it. Why go for the upbeat?

Poor Christine of the broken teeth! She was never going to be middle class. Dentistry is destiny.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote