View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm over halfway now and really enjoying it. Well, enjoying may not be the right word for a book about such a disaster and in particular such a senseless mass of deaths at this school, but the writing is really, really good for a non-fiction book.
I have had a book about the tsunami in my top 10 for at least 3 years now. Parry's book is the most recent. There was also:
  • Where the Dead Pause, and the Japanese Say Goodbye: A Journey by Marie Mutsuki Mockett, whose family runs a Buddhist temple 50 miles from Fukashima. Her memoir about visiting Japan in the aftermath and watching her brother and fellow priests work was amazing.
  • A Tale For the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki which is a fiction work. From Goodreads: Across the Pacific, we meet Ruth, a novelist living on a remote island who discovers a collection of artifacts washed ashore in a Hello Kitty lunchbox—possibly debris from the devastating 2011 tsunami. As the mystery of its contents unfolds, Ruth is pulled into the past, into Nao’s drama and her unknown fate, and forward into her own future.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote